7/27/06

August 8 a.m. worship geared for cyclists

My July commitment is nearly complete, but I don't want to let go of what I've gained.

One way I'm choosing to prolong the experience is by holding an early Sunday morning outdoor worship, especially geared for cyclists. And we're going to do this only during the four Sundays of August from 8 to 8:30 a.m.

I don't mean to offend and make this sound like a commercial for going to church, so please don't take it that way. I just thought that maybe Lincoln's avid cyclists, commuters like myself, recreational bikers and other outdoor lovers might get into something like this.

Even though arriving by bike is encouraged, walkers, runners and drivers are also welcome. However, I like the idea of pedaling right up to the lawn east of the church's building and worshiping between the green grass and the blue dome. We'll have chairs and blankets set out, but drivers are encouraged to bring extra from home.

Horizons' worship leader, Jamie Brown, will bring his guitar, and we'll have about 10 minutes of inspired song under the open sky. Then I'll give a shortened version of the message I'll be giving at the 9:30 and 11 a.m. services indoors.

At 8:30, if anyone wants to go inside for coffee, bagels and doughnuts, the coffee should be done by then. If the weather's bad, we'll gather in the first classroom just inside the east door.

So, if you're thinking about giving it a try and need directions for bike or car, here goes.

Bike:
Horizons Community Church is half a mile from the southern end of the Tierra-Williamsburg bike trail, which comes out half a block east of Cavette School. Go south from the school and then west on O'Hanlon. The campus is just west of 33rd Street at 3200 Grainger Parkway. (Maybe in the future we'll find a way to do something like this in a park along a well-used bike path.)

Car:
Take 27th Street south of Pine Lake Road, turn left (east) on Grainger. The church is on the corner of Grainger and Brummond. You'll see it.

2 comments:

Beerorkid said...

might have to check it out. A little early for me, but if I take a trip through wilderness park after, a nap would be justified.

Beerorkid said...

I would like to thanks you for the great worship sunday morning. It has been quite a while since I have been at any kind of worship. I was really impressed by a couple things.

The music was really nice. Jamie was not overpowering the songs with his guitar. It was the severe joy and awe of his faith that really stood out. During times when we were all singing he would play really quiet and let our voices prevail. It was joyful, soothing, and really upbeat.

The friendship with your congregation was present throughout the sermon. You can see the friendship and I saw why they look to you for inspiration.

The little bit of humor and the way you worked the selected scripture into a story telling us about God, his creations, and yourself was really nice.

I must say I found the church (is that what you call it?) inside to be nothing like I expected. It was very colorful. I saw the musicians up there singing on the stage, the place seemed friendly and inviting. I do not really know how to explain it, but it was so different from what I was used to, I was very impressed.

On the ride from there I kinda looked at things a little different. I stumbled into the wilderness ridge area, and rode around the golf course paths. Wow what a fancy place, waterfalls are cool. I saw some big birds in the distance, and I was thinking about what you shared with us today. Even being in the severely engineered golf course, I could still see the beauty of this wonderful canvas we are blessed to have.

The setting for the worship was perfect to me. When I was a teenager I spoke with my parents a bunch about my faith and how I did not think the church/school I attended was working out in my views. I told them I would rather listen to a spiritual leader talk about faith in God in a field rather than a fancy church. It was every thing I expected it to be.

Thanks.